Grand Rapids Divorce Lawyers
If you are concerned about the following types of issues regarding your divorce, we at DAWN (Divorce Attorneys for Women) can help.
- What will happen to my children?
- What will happen to me financially?
- How does divorce really work?
DAWN attorneys have your best interest in mind. They are professionals that you can trust! We take the time to listen, and work side by side with you through the divorce process.
DAWN. Dedicated to Helping Women Through Divorce
As a woman, you have unique needs as you face divorce. You may face the following unfamiliar challenges, possibly for the first time in your life.
- Finding a job
- Seeking counseling to make peace with what went wrong
- Buying or selling a house (may be part of the settlement)
- Preparing taxes
The divorce process may seem unending, and each case is different, but you can expect your case to follow a pattern similar to that below. Since Michigan is a no-fault divorce state, the only grounds are that there is no reasonable likelihood the broken marriage can be fixed.
- Complaint filed
- Summons and complaint served on defendant
- "Cooling off" period of 60 days (if no children) or 6 months (if children)
- Agree to settlement, or trial date scheduled
- Final documents signed and filed with court
- Divorce is final
Mediation can be a positive, cost-effective approach that involves both parties to a divorce sitting down with a mediator who is licensed by the state to recommend a solution.
We have well-established relationships with West Michigan professionals, including realtors, financial planners, mortgage specialists, and job placement specialists who provide our clients the practical services necessary for a fresh start.
DAWN lawyers are attuned to your unique needs as a woman, and work hard to apply the legal process to your best benefit. Contact a Grand Rapids divorce lawyer to learn more.